Rich and creamy roasted tomato soup is made with fresh tomatoes, white onion and a whole head of garlic for maximum flavor. Goes best with toasted Italian bread or crispy grilled cheese.
- 1 pint whole cherry or grape tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- 4 to 5 large beefsteak or roma tomatoes (2 to 2 1/2 pounds), halved
- 1 white or yellow onion, quartered
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Optional: sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 6–8 basil leaves
- Optional: 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Add vegetables and seasonings to a baking pan: Slice the top off the head of garlic so that the cloves are exposed. In a 13×9 inch baking pan or standard size Dutch oven add the whole cherry tomatoes, the tomato halves, onion pieces, and head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, making sure to coat the garlic, and lightly toss everything in it. Add the salt, pepper, dried oregano, and optional sprigs of rosemary or thyme.
- Bake: Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. For a more roasted flavor profile, broil for the last 5 minutes. Remove it from the oven and use tongs to pull out the garlic so that it cools faster. Discard the rosemary or thyme sprigs if you used them.
- Add to the blender: Use a ladle or large spoon to carefully add all of the tomatoes, onion, and any liquid from the pan into a blender. Note: if you’re using an immersion blender, add everything to a large pot. Next add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, balsamic vinegar, basil leaves, and optional sugar. Once the garlic is cool enough, squeeze the cloves into the blender or pot.
- Blend: Blend everything until the texture is smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Heat can cause everything to pressurize so make sure you remove the small top of the blender and use a towel or paper towels to cover it. If you prefer a thinner soup, add more vegetable broth.
- Serve: Serve immediately with toasted Italian bread or a simple grilled cheese. Garnish the soup with a splash of coconut milk, freshly ground black pepper, chili flakes, and fresh basil. Shredded parmesan would be delicious too!
Switch out the seasonings – substitute Italian seasoning or dried parsley for dried oregano.
Broil for the last five minutes of bake time for a fire-roasted flavor.
Add additional vegetable broth or coconut milk for your desired consistency.
Use an immersion blender instead. Just add everything to a large pot and immersion blend until smooth. Be careful with the hot splatter.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 50
- Serving Size: 4 servings
Keywords: roasted tomato soup, vegan soup, creamy