This could be the most useful vegan swap in the books. Cashew cream can do SO MANY things. It can replace any type of dairy milk, heavy cream, cream cheese or even yogurt when used properly. We created an easy savory cashew cream recipe so that you can use it in sauces, dressings, soups, and as a thickener. Don’t even get us started on how it can be used in desserts! That’s for another day.
What Type of Cashews?
The recipe is EASY. Watch us make it here! All you need is a high speed blender and a Costco membership. Jk, you don’t need Costco but they do have reasonably priced cashews, woo! We recommend using raw, unsalted cashews. If you only have roasted and/or salted that’s ok! The flavor might differ slightly but the texture will be the same.
How to make Cashew Cream
Below are the simple steps of making a savory cashew cream sauce…
- Soak your cashews – important especially if your blender is on his last leg, ya know the type.
- Blend cashews and water – scrap down the sides if needed.
- Add in the fun – by fun we mean the spice: lemon, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, pepper.
- Blend it up – until thick, smooth, creamy and delicious.
There you have it, three full cups of endless potential. We have a creamy pasta series that uses this cashew cream sauce in multiple delicious ways, so be sure to check that out!
Favorite Ways to Use Savory Cashew Cream
- Creamy Lemon Sauce – follow our Creamy Lemon Pasta recipe (part of our creamy pasta series) and you’ll be enjoying a velvety rich pasta dish in no time. One of our favorites!
- Pesto Cream Sauce – Make it here with gnocchi!
- Alla Vodka – mix with your favorite tomato sauce and a splash of vodka for a luscious pink sauce that everybody loves. Try our Rigatoni with a Creamy Vodka Sauce! (also part of the creamy pasta series)
- To Thicken Soups – add it to your next cozy soup concoction and turn it into a Creamy Mushroom, Creamy Lemon Orzo, or Creamy Tomato Soup. Yes, they are all creamy, we get it.
- Caesar Dressing – it’s the perfect base for a dairy-free caesar dressing. Add caper brine, lemon, nutritional yeast, and garlic.
- Savory Breakfasts – schmear it onto your avocado toast or mix it in with your eggs or tofu scramble.
Savory Cashew Cream Sauce
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
This rich, savory cashew cream can be used in so many different ways. We always have some ready to go in the fridge for making quick creamy dressings, adding to pasta, or dolloping on buddha bowls. It will enhance even the most basic meal and is easily customizable!
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Soak the cashews for at least 15 minutes in boiling water. You can also soak them for up to 3 hours if you have the time!
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews. Add the cashews and filtered water to the blender. Blend until well combined, scrapping down the sides if needed. If it is still slightly chunky at this stage that is ok, the lemon juice will help thin it and make it smooth.
- Add in the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Blend until very smooth.
** All blenders are different so if you aren’t getting a smooth consistency, add 1 tablespoon more of water at a time until the cream sauce is smooth.
** Store in the fridge for up to 7 days or in the freezer for 1 to 2 months!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Blender
Keywords: vegan, cashew cream, cream sauce, cashews