This could be the most useful vegan swap in the books. Cashew cream can do SO MANY things. It can replace any type of dairy milk, heavy cream, cream cheese or even yogurt when used properly. We created an easy savory cashew cream recipe so that you can use it in sauces, dressings, soups, and as a thickener. Don’t even get us started on how it can be used in desserts! That’s for another day.
What Type of Cashews?
The recipe is EASY. Watch us make it here! All you need is a high speed blender and a Costco membership. Jk, you don’t need Costco but they do have reasonably priced cashews, woo! We recommend using raw, unsalted cashews. If you only have roasted and/or salted that’s ok! The flavor might differ slightly but the texture will be the same.
How to make Cashew Cream
Below are the simple steps of making a savory cashew cream sauce…
- Soak your cashews – important especially if your blender is on his last leg, ya know the type.
- Blend cashews and water – scrap down the sides if needed.
- Add in the fun – by fun we mean the spice: lemon, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, pepper.
- Blend it up – until thick, smooth, creamy and delicious.
There you have it, three full cups of endless potential. We have a creamy pasta series that uses this cashew cream sauce in multiple delicious ways, so be sure to check that out!
Favorite Ways to Use Savory Cashew Cream
- Creamy Lemon Sauce – follow our Creamy Lemon Pasta recipe (part of our creamy pasta series) and you’ll be enjoying a velvety rich pasta dish in no time. One of our favorites!
- Pesto Cream Sauce – Make it here with gnocchi!
- Alla Vodka – mix with your favorite tomato sauce and a splash of vodka for a luscious pink sauce that everybody loves. Try our Rigatoni with a Creamy Vodka Sauce! (also part of the creamy pasta series)
- To Thicken Soups – add it to your next cozy soup concoction and turn it into a Creamy Mushroom, Creamy Lemon Orzo, or Creamy Tomato Soup. Yes, they are all creamy, we get it.
- Caesar Dressing – it’s the perfect base for a dairy-free caesar dressing. Add caper brine, lemon, nutritional yeast, and garlic.
- Savory Breakfasts – schmear it onto your avocado toast or mix it in with your eggs or tofu scramble.